Since the dawn of the electric car revolution, Tesla has been among the leading manufacturers of electric vehicles (EVs). In order for any electric vehicle to perform optimally and last as long as possible, battery care is crucial. An important practice to improve the efficiency and lifespan of Tesla batteries is to precondition them. Here, we will explore battery preconditioning, its importance, and how to precondition Tesla battery effectively step-by-step.
What Type Of Battery Is In A Tesla?
Whether a Tesla vehicle has a lithium-ion or a lithium-ion battery may be one of the first things you want to know. Due to Tesla’s electric vehicles’ need for special batteries, they need batteries made only for them. It uses lithium-ion batteries for its batteries.
In Model 3 and Model Y Tesla vehicles, a Li-Ion battery also allows the battery to be preconditioned, which means it can be recharged. It loses power when it gets too cold and is sensitive to cold weather. In other words, you precondition your Tesla battery so that it will be at its full power output when you use it below Tesla Models.
- Tesla Model S
- Tesla Model 3
- Tesla Model X
- Tesla Model Y
What is Tesla Battery Preconditioning?
Before we start with how to precondition Tesla battery, it is important to know a little bit about Preconditioning. Well, Active management of the temperature and state of charge of the battery before starting a journey is called battery preconditioning in a Tesla vehicle.
Although Tesla’s advanced battery management system is capable of preconditioning to some extent, understanding its significance and benefits is essential for drivers. Battery performance is optimized between 20°C and 30°C, typically between 68°F and 86°F for EVs.
It is possible for batteries to become inefficient and less efficient when exposed to extreme temperatures, whether they are hot or cold. When the temperature drops below freezing, chemical reactions within the battery slow down, and the performance of the battery suffers. In contrast, when temperatures are high, batteries can degrade more quickly, resulting in a shorter lifespan.
When the battery is preconditioned before driving, it is brought to the optimal temperature range, thereby preventing these temperature-related issues. Furthermore, Preconditioning ensures an optimal balance between energy storage and performance by setting the battery’s charge level to an optimal level.
Is it Important to Precondition the Tesla Battery?
It is sometimes necessary to precondition your Tesla battery. Before starting the charging process, ensure your battery has the right temperature.
When the temperature of the battery isn’t optimal, the car will automatically charge it slower in order to avoid damaging it.
Benefits of Battery Preconditioning
- Enhanced Efficiency: You can ensure optimal performance by preconditioning the battery in a specific temperature range. When extreme weather conditions occur, this increases energy efficiency and increases range.
- Battery Longevity: Keeping the battery in its ideal temperature range reduces cell stress, which extends battery life.
- Improved Performance: When the battery is preconditioned, it delivers more power when needed, resulting in better performance.
- Regenerative Braking Optimization: By preconditioning the battery before driving, it will be more easily able to achieve maximum regenerative braking performance and capture more energy during deceleration.
- Fast Charging Benefits: Since preconditioned batteries can accept a higher charge rate, supercharging stations can charge batteries faster.
Tips for Efficient Battery Preconditioning
- In order for your Tesla battery to start the day at its optimal temperature, charge it anytime you can in a covered and climate-controlled environment.
- You may wish to set the Scheduled Departure feature a few minutes before your actual departure time to ensure that batteries and cabins are prepared for your departure.
- You should avoid parking your Tesla in extreme temperatures for extended periods of time. To precondition the battery and keep the climate controls on, use Dog Mode or Camp Mode.
- Make sure you are using the newest battery management features and improvements by regularly updating your Tesla’s software.
How to Precondition Tesla Battery to Boost Range and Battery Life
To precondition your Tesla’s battery effectively, let’s explore the step-by-step process below to know how to precondition tesla battery:
1. Use Scheduled Departure
You can set a particular departure time on Tesla vehicles by using the “Scheduled Departure” feature. Before you get in your car, the battery and cabin will be automatically preconditioned to the desired temperature. To use this feature:
- Go to Controls > Charging > Scheduled Departure on your Tesla touchscreen.
- Next, tap settings and turn on Preconditioning.
- It is also possible to configure Scheduled Charging in the Tesla app. Click on Schedule > Departure. Choose your departure time and turn Precondition on.
2. Climate Controls
A Tesla battery can also be manually preconditioned by using the climate control system. If you turn on the A/C system or select Defrost Car, the vehicle will automatically defrost. In both cases, the battery will be preconditioned.
When you’re not in the car, you can do this remotely through the Tesla app.
On the touchscreen, touch the display temperature to turn on the climate control system. If you aren’t in the car, you can activate the climate controls by going to Climate > On in the Tesla app.
You can activate Defrost mode by going to Climate > Swipe Up > Defrost Car. Preconditioning the battery will begin with either of these settings – Climate On or Defrost Car.
As soon as the preconditioning process is complete, you will be able to enjoy all the benefits a warm battery offers, including improved performance, increased range, and faster charging.
3. Precondition Before Supercharging
Supercharger stations are convenient places to top up your Tesla battery quickly. In addition, it is advantageous to precondition the battery before arriving at the Supercharger to speed up the charging process. To do this:
- To set your destination, including a Supercharger stop along the way, use the Navigate feature on your Tesla touchscreen.
- When the vehicle reaches a Supercharger, the battery will be automatically preconditioned, resulting in faster charging times.
4. Preconditioning in Extreme Weather
During extreme summer or winter weather, Preconditioning becomes even more important. If you wish to ensure that your Tesla’s battery is in optimal condition before driving, you should:
- To set the cabin temperature before entering the vehicle, use the Tesla app.
- Keep your Tesla in a garage if possible to protect it from extreme temperatures.
5. Use the “Dog Mode” or “Camp Mode”
In the Tesla app, you can turn on “Dog Mode” or “Camp Mode” if you do not have a specific departure time but want to have the cabin comfortable for you and your pets.
- On your smartphone, open the Tesla app.
- Click on Climate.
- When the car is parked, select Dog Mode or Camp Mode to keep the climate control on. Depending on the situation, this will also precondition the battery.
What Is The Best Time To Precondition My Tesla Battery?
Whenever it is cold outside and before you take a long trip, you should precondition your Tesla battery. In this way, you can be sure that the battery is fully warmed up and ready to go when the time comes. It isn’t necessary to precondition your Tesla battery if temperatures aren’t very cold.
Can I Precondition My Tesla Battery While It Is Plugged In?
While your Tesla battery is plugged in, you can certainly precondition it. You should take advantage of this opportunity. Using this method will prolong the battery’s life, so it’s recommended.
Should I Precondition My Tesla Before Driving?
In order to drive or charge a Tesla, you do not need to warm up first. When your Tesla battery is warmed up (or preconditioned), this increases its efficiency and saves you some energy. To increase efficiency and productivity, you warm up the engine before driving instead of losing power while driving.
It is highly recommended to use this useful feature during the cold season because it can help you avoid many car limits as well as find some features. This could include fast charging, full power output, and avoiding regenerative braking.
Wrapping Up | How To Precondition Tesla Battery
So, that’s all we have for you on how to precondition Tesla battery. We hope that this guide has helped you. In the meantime, comment below and let us know if you have any doubts or queries regarding this topic.
- How to Fix Tesla Black Screen or Stuck While Driving
- How to Fix Tesla Bluetooth Not Working 2023
- Tesla Pi Phone Price, Launch Date, Specification, Rumors
- How to Fix Samsung Galaxy Buds 2 Pro Battery Draining Too Fast
- How to Set a Custom Battery Charge Limit in Android
- How to Fix Apple Watch Battery Draining Too Fast
- How To Check Airpods Battery Without Case