Action role-playing game Fallout 3 is played from a first-person point of view. The game came out in 2008 and is still very popular with gamers. Fallout 3 can be played on Windows, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360. People who play Fallout 3 on Windows 11 have said that the game has problems. Users said the game crashed out of the blue and wouldn’t start after that. Also, users of Windows 10 ran into the same problem.
System incompatibility is a big part of why this is happening. Initially, the game was made for Windows 7 and may not work with the latest version of Windows. So people who use Windows 10 or Windows 11 to play Fallout 3 might face problems. Other things that can cause this problem are out-of-date graphics card drivers, old versions of games, and corrupted system files.
How to Fix Fallout 3 Crashing On Windows 10/11
Nothing to worry about; this article will help you fix the issues you face with it. In this article, we will be discussing five ways to fix Fallout 3 crashing on Windows 10/11.
Reinstall Graphics Cards Drivers
The issue can be encountered due to some issues with the graphics card drivers on your PC. You can try reinstalling the graphics card drivers, which should probably help fix the issue. To do so, follow the steps given below-
- Press Windows + X key combo, and then click on Device Manager from the menu that opens up.
- Now, double-click on the Display Adapters to expand it.
- Here, right-click on your graphics driver, and then click on Uninstall Device.
- Now, click on Uninstall to confirm uninstalling the graphics card driver.
- Restart your PC to reinstall the graphics card driver on your PC.
Note- Some PC may have two graphics cards- Dedicated and integrated. If your PC has two graphics cards, you can reinstall both.
If reinstalling the graphics card drivers doesn’t help, you can update your graphics card. Head to your graphics card manufacturer’s website (Nvidia or AMD). Here, search for your graphics card model and download the latest version of the drivers. Install the driver on your PC; you should no longer encounter crashing issues with Fallout 3.
Run The Game In Compatibility Mode
If you are facing Fallout 3 crashing issues, it may be because of system incompatibility. Running the game in compatibility mode will most probably help fix the issue. You can run the game in compatibility mode by following the steps given below-
- Press Windows + E to open File Explorer on your PC.
- Here, head to the following address-
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 3
- Here, right-click on the Fallout 3.exe file and then click on Properties.
- In the Properties window, head to the Compatibility tab.
- Here, check the checkbox for Run this Program in Compatibility Mode.
- Click on the drop-down menu and Windows XP (Service Pack 3).
- Check the checkbox for Run this program as an administrator.
- Now, click on Apply and then on OK.
- Run Fallout 3 on your PC and check whether it is working fine.
You can try updating the Windows to the latest version to check whether that fixes the issue. To update Windows, follow the steps given below-
- Open Settings on your PC by pressing the Windows + I key combo.
- Windows 10 users click on Update & Security and Windows Update from the left sidebar.
- Windows 11 users click on Windows Update from the left sidebar.
- Now on the right side, click on Check for updates button.
- Download and install all the updates that are listed here.
- After the update has been installed, restart your PC.
- Now, relaunch the game and check whether the issue is fixed.
Verify The Integrity Of The Game Files
You may also encounter the issue due to corrupted game files. We recommend you verify the integrity of the game files to fix the issue. The steps for the same can vary for Steam and Epic Games; we will guide you with the procedure for both of them.
To verify the integrity of game files on Steam, follow the steps given below-
- On the Steam Library, lookout for Fallout 3. Right-click on it, then click on Properties, and then on Local Files.
- Click the Verify Integrity Of Game Files to repair the game files.
- Once done, relaunch the game.
To verify the integrity of game files on Epic Games, follow the steps given below-
- Open Epic Games Library.
- Click on the three dots next to Fallout 3 and then Manage.
- Now, click on Verify button to verify the integrity of the game files.
- Relaunch the game and check if the issue is fixed or not.
Check For Corrupted Files
Another reason behind facing the issue can be corrupted files. Scan your PC for the corrupted files and fix them using the SFC scan. To do so, follow the steps given below-
- Press the Windows key to open the Start Menu.
- Search for CMD. Right-click on the Command Prompt from the search result and click Run as administrator.
- Now, type and execute the following command-
- sfc /scannow
- Wait for the process to complete, and then restart your PC.
- Relaunch the game, and the issue should be fixed.
These were the five troubleshooting ways to help fix Fallout 3 crashing issues on Windows 10/11. Following the above steps, you should be able to fix the issue you have been facing.