If you have many digital devices at home that operate with a remote, there’s an interesting option in the market that would serve the purpose of Jack of All Trades. Yes, a Universal Remote is sort of a thing that allows you to control every device using a single remote. This makes it a pretty obvious choice for anyone looking to streamline their user experience. What could you do if you don’t have codes?
Well, a Universal Remote would every time require a code you wish to connect it to a device of your choice. However, nowadays, things have changed. With the auto scan feature being embedded into every universal remote, connecting multiple devices is now easier. With that being said, here’s our guide to help you program a universal remote to a TV without using codes.
What is a Universal Remote?
A universal remote is a remote controller that helps you to control more than 3 devices using a single remote. As the name suggests, universal, which means for everything.
As a result, if you have a DVD Player, a smart TV, a home theater system, and any other audio-visual unit, you don’t need a separate remote for all of them. Instead, you can simply use a universal remote ad control all of them.
The universal remote provides peace of mind and ease of use for the users, making it very popular. However, the only downside is that if your TV or universal remote is old, it may cause trouble. For instance, it may connect to your DVD Player but not to your TV and vice versa.
How to Program a Universal Remote to a TV Without Codes?
In order to start programming a universal remote, you have to ensure that your universal remote is new or in good condition. Next, you have to check whether you have full and newer batteries.
In case you have used batteries, don’t use them. Another thing to note is that the remote and TV are connected together using infrared, which can connect only when in a straight line. As a result, make sure that they are pointed directly. When you are ready, you can start. As of now, there are two methods to connect. We will discuss all of them.
Method 1: Programming Without Code
In this method, we will program the remote to your TV without using any code. The method is a little bit difficult, so make sure to carefully follow these steps:
- Press and hold the SET and ZERO buttons together. Do this one time.
- After that, press the SET and ZERO buttons together for 4 continuous times.
- When done, you will notice that the Red LED indicator will light up steadily.
- Now press the ON button and then press it again. Do this for 3 times. Wait for 1 second in between. Keep doing this until your TV turns on.
- When your TV turns on, press ENTER and then OK. This will confirm the setting.
Now you can turn on and use your TV without any hassle every time with this universal remote without entering any code.
Method 2: Use Auto Scan to Detect TV
The Auto Scan feature is present on most modern-day universal remotes. However, if you are using an old one, Auto Scan might not work. If yours is a new one, auto scan is a better method than the previous one because it allows you to seamlessly connect the universal remote with your TV without entering codes. Follow these steps if you think this method is better for you:
- Press the SET button and TV1 button together. Keep pressing and releasing them a few times until the Red LED Light turns on.
- Now, press the SET button again. The Red LED Light will start blinking.
- Press the Power button right after that. Keep doing this until your TV turns on.
Now, your universal remote is connected to the TV and will stay connected until your battery dies out. When it happens, you have to follow the same procedure again to make it compatible.
What to Do If Universal Remote Is Not Connecting to TV?
If, after following the above methods, your TV is not connecting with the universal remote control, it is possible that either your TV is not supported or that the universal remote is pretty old. To verify this, open the battery cover of your remote. Now, search for the Model Number of your remote online or on Manufacturer’s website to get the list of supported devices.
If your device does not support auto scanning, look on the manufacturer’s website for the code to connect with your specific TV model. When found, enter the code on the remote to connect with your TV. However, if you don’t find the code, that means your TV is not supported by the universal remote though this is rare.
Another thing you can do is do a manual code search. However, this process is not easy, so here are the steps:
- Make sure that your TV is turned on.
- Next press the TV button on your universal remote.
- After that, press the TV and POWER buttons together and then release.
- Immediately after that, press and leave the PLAY button.
- Repeat this process 2 times until your TV turns OFF.
If your TV turns off, that means your TV and remote controller are not connected, and you don’t need to do anything. In the future, if anytime your remote refuses to connect, you can go through these steps again to make sure that your problem is solved.
The Bottom Line
Well, that’s all we have here about how to program a universal remote to a TV without codes. We hope this guide has helped you. If you cannot program the remote, it is possible that your remote is pretty old and the TV is not supporting it. If you have any other doubts or queries, make sure to comment below.
- Top List of GE Universal Remote Codes for Vizio TV
- How to Sync Roku Remote Without a Pairing Button
- How To Get Rid Of Ads On Peacock TV For Free in 2023
- Fix Vizio Smart TV Keeps Freezing, Lagging, Freezing, Restarts
- How To Fix FireStick Remote Not Working
- How to Fix Apple TV Remote Not Working
- How To Fix Roku Remote Volume is Not Working