If Apple TV Remote not working, you will have to fix it anyhow otherwise, you won’t be able to operate your TV. As a result, you would be looking for ways to fix Apple TV Remote not working. Don’t worry, you are not alone. A lot of people just face issues trying to change channels or increase and decrease the volume. Either way, the tv remote doesn’t seem to work.
Furthermore, depending on your Apple TV, you will be having either the old black Siri Remote or the modern Aluminum siri remote. Both of them are easy to fix and we have listed methods suitable for both the models. With that being said, let’s start fixing this issue.
Why is Apple TV Remote Not Working?
It is possible that your apple TV remote is not working simply because the batteries have exhausted. Further, it possible that you are not in range. Other causes include Bluetooth issue. Finally, as we figured out, the most common causes of Apple TV remote not working is are dead batteries or a loose connection.
It’s possible that the remote’s battery is dead or malfunctioning or that there’s another problem preventing it from communicating with the Apple TV. It’s possible that the Apple TV or its remote has failed mechanically, that the remote needs to be unpaired and then re-paired. Whatever it takes, let’s fix this.
How to Fix Apple TV Remote Not Working 2023
Here we have listed 7 ways to fix Apple TV remote not working. We recommend that you go through all the fixes so that you can figure out the issue.
Charge Your Remote
If your remote is a Siri Apple TV Remote, then it requires charging after every 72 hours of continuous usage. Although in most cases the battery runs for around 1 month of usage, in houses where it is extensively used, the battery runs out pretty fast.
If you have exhausted that time limit, it is time for you to recharge it. Recharging is simple, as you always do. However, if you have already tried charging, move on to the next fix.
Check for Batteries
It is possible that over time the batteries of your Apple TV remote have reached the end of their life cycle. Therefore, check whether they need to be changed.
Since batteries on Apple TV remote is not user replaceable, you need to visit the authorized customer center and get them replaced. Once the batteries are changed, you can start using the remote.
However, if you own a normal Apple TV remote, you can easily remove the back panel and replace the battery. The battery is CR2032. This is the usual motherboard battery, often known as the CMOS battery. You can find it everywhere. Buy one and replace it yourself.
Unpair and Re-Pair Apple TV Remote
If the above methods have not managed to get your Apple TV remote back to working, you need to pair and then re-pair your remote with the TV. Follow these steps to do so:
- Take your remote and bring it close to the Apple TV. The distance should be around 3-5 inches.
- Now press and Hold the < Button and Volume Up buttons together for 5 seconds.
- If you have a Siri-compatible Apple Remote, press the Menu Button and Volume Up button for 5 seconds
- Apple TV will now prompt you to place the remote on top of your Apple TV Box.
Now your Apple TV remote is re-paired. Start using it and see whether it is working or not. If not, follow up with the next fix.
Restart Your Apple TV Remote
If the above methods haven’t proved to be of much help, you can try to restart it. Follow these steps to restart your Apple TV remote:
- Take the remote in your hand.
- Press and hold the Control Center button and Volume Down button together for 5 seconds.
- If you have a Siri-compatible Apple TV Remote, Press the TV button and Volume Down button together for 5 seconds.
- Keep them pressed until you see the Status light on your Apple TV turn off and On again.
- Wait for a few minutes until your Apple TV Remote starts again.
- Now, when the Status LED is on again, try using it.
If it is now working, great. If not, follow up with the next fix.
Unplug and Replug Your TV
If you are having a tough time using your Apple TV remote and you have already tried restarting Apple TV remote, it is now time to restart your Apple TV.
Restarting Apple TV is simple, just turn it off, remove the electricity cable from the wall socket, and wait for a few minutes. Now, if possible, keep the power button on your Apple TV pressed for 10 seconds.
Once done, plug everything back in and check whether it is working now or not. If not, move on to the next fix.
Make Sure Apple TV is Updated
Developers work hard to make sure that Apple TV is bug-free. However, sometimes bugs do creep in and cause issues like Apple TV Remote not working.
If you have already tried all the above fixes, it is now time you check whether your Apple TV is updated to the latest version.
Since your Apple TV remote is not working, it is now time to use your iPhone as the Apple TV remote and do this operation. Follow these steps to check Apple TV for updates.
- Open Settings on your Apple TV.
- Go to System and then click on Software Updates.
- Again, tap on Update Software.
- If an update is available, your TV will start downloading and installing it.
- Once installed, your TV will restart and will be ready to use.
While the update is in progress, make sure that your TV is connected to the internet and is turned on. Now check whether your TV is working or not.
Buy a New Remote
If you have tried everything discussed above but don’t see a change, it is now time you buy a new Apple TV Remote. If you have a Siri Compatible TV Remote, it will cost you around $60 for a brand-new one. This isn’t much considering the features it has to offer.
However, if you have the Gen 2 or Gen 3 remote, you can buy a replacement for $10-$15 since it isn’t available officially. But the Apple Store might arrange it for you.
The Bottom Line
Well, that’s all we have here about how you can fix if Apple TV Remote not working. We hope this guide has helped you. If you still have any doubts or queries, please comment below, and we will help you as soon as possible.
- How to Connect Apple TV to WiFi Without Remote
- Activate PeacockTV.com on Roku, Fire TV, Xbox, Apple TV (2023)
- How to Download Apple TV or Apple Music on Windows 11
- Turn off Apple TV and Apple Watch Keyboard Notifications
- How To Fix When Apple TV Stuck and Could Not Sign In
- How to Fix Apple TV App Not Working in Sky Q/Sky+ HD
- How to Activate BET+ Plus on Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Fire TV