If you are a regular traveler, you might need to change the app store country region on your iPhone and iPad, depending on your device. However, in some cases, Apple doesn’t let you change your App Store country or region even if you think you have done everything correctly. If that’s the case, read this guide to learn what you are doing wrong and how you can fix it if you can’t change the app store country or region on your iPhone or iPad.
Why Can’t You Change App Store Country/Region?
According to Apple, there are certain conditions set before you are allowed to change your App Store country or region. If those conditions aren’t met, Apple won’t allow you to change your country. For the unknowns, here are the conditions that are necessary:
- Remaining Balance in Apple ID: If you have any remaining balance in Apple ID or Store Credits, you won’t be able to change the app store country or region.
- Active Subsctions: If you have any active subscription that is linked to your current payment method in this country, you cannot change your Apple store country or region.
- Family Group: If you are in a family sharing group, you will face the same issue.
- Active Pre-Order or Rentals: These services should be canceled before changing country on your iPhone or Pad.
Other than this, any content downloaded on your iPhone or iPad that is not available in the country where you are changing should be uninstalled; otherwise, you won’t be able to change country or region.
Fix ‘Can’t Change App Store Country/Region on iPhone and iPad’
If you are unable to change the App store country or region on your iPhone or iPad, follow these fixes to resolve your issue and change the country. Moreover, these fixes are synonymous with both iPhones and iPads. Let’s begin.
Fix 1: Cancel Active Subscriptions
The first thing to look for when you can’t change the app store country region on your iPad or iPhone is to cancel out all your active subsection. This is because the existing subscriptions are linked with the cards that are operable in the current country, while if you don’t cancel your subscriptions, the amount cannot be deduced when you go to another country.
As a result, it is of foremost importance that you cancel out every active subscription on your iPhone or iPad. Follow these steps to do the same:
- Open Settings.
- Tap on your Account Name.
- Click on Subscriptions.
- Tap on the Active Subscription being shown and click on Cancel Subscription.
This way, your active subscription will be canceled, and you will be able to change your region or country easily. If you are still unable to do so, follow up with the next fix.
Fix 2: Cancel Pre-Orders and Movie Rentals
It is of utmost importance that you cancel all the movie rentals that you haven’t watched and also cancel preorders that are used with the credit card available in this country. Only then you will be able to change your country or region on your iPhone or iPad. Follow these steps to cancel these:
- On your iPhone or iPad, open AppStore.
- Tap on your picture at the top-right corner.
- Now click on your Name.
- Now tap on Pre-Orders or Arcade Games/Coming Soon.
- Select your preorder and click on Cancel.
Once you do the above-mentioned steps, your rentals and pre-orders will be canceled within 5 minutes, and you can then change your country or region. If you are still unable to do so, follow up with the next fix.
Fix 3: Clear Out Remaing Apple ID Balance or Store Credit
According to Apple, any remaining Apple ID balance or Store Credit must be cleared out before switching your country or region. This is because that store credit was bought using the previous country’s credit card, and it cannot be used in a different country or region. Moreover, it is no way to transfer iTunes or Apple ID credit in another country.
Therefore, this is also very important to note if you can’t change country or region on your iPhone or iPad. Now, go ahead and purchase anything you want from AppStore and spend all your credits. However, make sure that you don’t purchase any subscription because that will again lead to issues, as discussed in the previous fix.
Fix 4: Leave Family Group
If you are in a Family Group, leave that immediately. Since your complete family is not going to another country with you, you must leave that family group so that you can change the country or region on your iPhone or iPad.
Although if your entire family is going, it is possible for the Family Manager to change the country or region for the entire family group if certain conditions are met. Nevertheless, follow these steps to leave the family group:
- Open Settings on your iPad or iPhone,
- Tap on your Profile.
- Tap on Family Sharing.
- Now click on your Name.
- Below, tap on Stop Using Family Sharing.
Now that your family sharing has stopped and you are not in a family group, you can now change the country.
Fix 5: Log Out of Apple ID
If none of the above fixes have worked, it is time to log out of your Apple ID and log back in. It is to be noted that even if all the conditions are met, you should be able to change your country or region on your iPhone or Pad. However, if you are unable to do so, it is possible that you haven’t done something correctly that is causing the interference.
As for that matter, sometimes, due to bugs or glitches, especially on iOS 16, you may not be able to change country or region, and that’s why it is recommended that you log out of your Apple ID once and then log back in. If you don’t know, follow these steps:
- Open Settings.
- Tap on your Name/Profile.
- Scroll down a bit and tap on Sign Out.
- Once done, restart your iPhone and log in again.
Try changing your country now, and it should be done.
The Bottom Line
Well, that’s all we have here about how you can fix can’t change country or region on your iPhone or iPad. We hope this guide has helped you. If you are still facing issues, make sure to comment below.
- How to Reset Apple ID Password in iOS 15/16 | iforgot.apple
- How to Fix Update Apple ID Settings Issue on iPhone
- Fix There Was An Error Connecting To The Apple ID Server
- How to Factory Reset Apple Watch without Apple ID
- How to Get Rid Of Scratches on Apple Watch Screen
- Fix Volume Control Not Working on Apple TV 4K Remote
- How to Use ChatGPT on Your Apple Watch
- How to Fix “Apple Pay Services are Currently Unavailable”