The Clipboard in Windows 11 holds essential information like the data you copied. The history can include data like the text, image, or the file you copied, which you can paste later. All the data you copied will remain on your PC until you turn off your PC. Anyone using your PC can access the Clipboard and check what files you copied.
Users prefer clearing the clipboard history to hide the files one has copied. The prevalent way to do so is by restarting your Windows 11 PC. However, if you don’t want to restart your PC but want to clear the clipboard data, then this article will guide you with it. In this article, we will be listing some ways to help you clear clipboard history in Windows 11.
Clear Clipboard History In Windows 11
Various ways help you clear the clipboard history in Windows 11. We will be discussing all the methods using which you can clear the clipboard history in Windows 11.
Clear Clipboard History Using Command Prompt
You can use Command Prompt for clearing the clipboard history on Windows 11. To do so, follow the steps given below-
- Press the Windows key to open the Start Menu.
- In the Start Menu, search for CMD. Right-click on Command Prompt and click on Run As Administrator.
- Type and execute the command echo.|clip to clear the clipboard history.
Clear Clipboard History Using Run Dialog Box
Similarly, you can use the Run Dialog Box like above to clear the clipboard history. Follow the steps given below to do so-
- Open Run Dialog Box by pressing the Windows + R key combo.
- In the Run Dialog Box, type cmd /c echo.|clip and click on OK.
- This will clear the clipboard history in Windows 11.
Clear Clipboard History Using Desktop Shortcut And Keyboard Shortcut
You can either create a desktop shortcut to clear the clipboard history. You can do so by following the steps given below-
- Right-click on your Desktop, click on New, and then on Shortcut.
- Under the location field, type cmd /c echo. |clip and click on Next.
- Next, name your Shortcut as Clear Clipboard and click on Finish. The Shortcut will be created.
- Now, whenever you double-click on the Shortcut, it will clear the Clipboard history.
If you want to create and use the keyboard shortcut for clearing the clipboard history in Windows 11, then you will be able to do so by following the steps given below-
- Right-click on the Clear Clipboard shortcut you created, and then from the context menu, click on Properties.
- In the Properties window, head to the Shortcut tab.
- Click on the field next to the Shortcut Key and enter your desired keyboard shortcut. Like for instance- Ctrl + Shift + Alt + C
- Click on Apply and then on OK to save the changes.
- Now, press the Windows + R key combo, and in the Run Dialog Box, type shell: Start menu and hit Enter.
- Double-click on the Programs folder on the File Explorer window that opens up.
- Now, copy the Clear Clipboard shortcut from the desktop to this folder.
- Once done, you will have successfully set the keyboard shortcut to clear clipboard history.
From Clipboard History Flyout
You can also clear the clipboard history directly from the Clipboard History Flyout. To do so, follow the steps given below-
- Press Windows + V key combo to open the Clipboard History Flyout.
- If you want to clear all the histories, click on Clear All.
- In case if you want to clear a specific item from the history, then follow the steps below-
- Click on the Three Ellipses next to the item you want to remove.
- Next, click the Recycle Bin (Delete) icon to delete the item.
Clear Clipboard History Windows 11 Using Settings
Another way to clear the Clipboard history in Windows 11 is by using the Settings app. To do so, follow the steps given below-
- Open the Settings app on your Windows 11 PC by pressing the Windows + I key combo.
- Ensure you are on the System tab on the left sidebar, then click on Clipboard.
- Next, click on the Clear button next to the Clear Clipboard Data option to clear the data.
Note- If you find the Clear button greyed out, it is probably because the history is not available or is already deleted.
Disable Clipboard History
If you want to disable the Clipboard History, you have the option to do so as well. To do so, follow the steps given below-
- Press Windows + I key combo to open Settings.
- In the System tab, click on Clipboard.
- On the next window, turn off the toggle for the Clipboard History to disable the Clipboard History.
These were all the ways to help you clear Clipboard History in Windows 11. If you don’t want anyone to see your Clipboard history and want to clear it, then you will be able to do so by following the steps in this article.