The malfunctioning touchpad on a laptop can be frustrating especially when you have got something urgent to do. Issues are not new to Windows 11 and if you encounter an issue with the touchpad then there is nothing to worry about. Touchpad issues mostly occur due to outdated drivers, random bugs, problematic Windows updates, and various others. The issue is easy to fix and you can easily do it by following a few troubleshooting steps.
Fix Windows 11 Touchpad Not Working Problem
In this article, we will be discussing some troubleshooting steps to help fix the touchpad not working in Windows 11.
Restart Your PC
Many times the issue may be encountered due to random or temporary bugs/glitches. So instead of continuing with the troubleshooting steps first, you should restart your PC. Restarting your PC should most probably fix the issue you have been facing. However, if you still encounter the issue even after restarting your PC then you should move to the next troubleshooting step in this article. If the touchpad is not working, then you should try using an external mouse to get ahead with the troubleshooting steps ahead.
Enable Your Touchpad
Another thing that you can try doing is enabling the touchpad. You will have to manually enable the touchpad of your Windows 11 PC. You can do so by following the steps given below-
- Press the Windows + I key combo to open the Settings.
- Head to the Bluetooth & devices section from the left sidebar.
- On the right side, click the Touchpad option.
- Next, enable the toggle for the touchpad.
Run Hardware Troubleshooter
If you have been facing issues with the Touchpad on your laptop, then you can try running the hardware troubleshooter. To do so, follow the steps given below-
- Press the Windows key on your keyboard and in the Start Menu, search for CMD.
- Select CMD from the search result and then select Run as administrator.
- In the Command Prompt, type and execute the command msdt.exe -id DeviceDiagnostic
- Now in the Hardware and devices troubleshooter window, click on Next and follow the on-screen instructions to run the hardware troubleshooter and fix the issue.
If you still face the issue with the touchpad and you are unable to use it, then you should try updating your Windows PC. Given below are the steps to help update Windows 11 PC-
- Press Windows + I key combo to open the Settings app on your PC.
- In the Settings app, head to the Windows Update from the left sidebar.
- Now on the right side, click on Check for updates.
- Download and install all the updates on your PC and then restart your PC.
- Once done, the issue should be fixed.
Update Touchpad Drivers
Outdated touchpad drivers may also be the reason behind facing the issue with the touchpad. If you find the touchpad to be not working, then you should follow the steps given below-
- Press Windows + X key combo and then from the menu that opens up, click on Device Manager.
- Here, expand the Mice and other pointing devices section by double-clicking on it.
- Now, right-click on your touchpad, and then click on Update Driver.
- Once done, click on Search automatically for drivers.
- Once done, restart your PC and the issue should be fixed.
Reinstall Touchpad Drivers
Another troubleshooting step to follow is to reinstall touchpad drivers. The issue with the touchpad can be due to the corrupted or faulty drivers, which can easily be fixed by reinstalling the touchpad drivers. To do so, follow the steps given below-
- Open Start Menu, and search for Device Manager. Click on the very first option from the search result to open the Device Manager.
- In the Device Manager, expand the Mice and other pointing devices by double-clicking on it.
- Here, right-click on your touchpad drivers and then click on Uninstall device.
- Confirm uninstalling the driver and restart your device to reinstall the driver.
Scan PC For Virus
If you still face the issue, then you should prefer scanning your PC for the virus. You can use a third-party antivirus to scan your PC for the virus. However, if you do not use third-party antivirus software then you can prefer using Windows Security to do so. Normally, Windows Security should do the job for you.
If you still face the issue with the touchpad on your PC, then you will have to reset your PC. Resetting your PC will revert the system to the factory settings and should fix the issue you have been facing. Before you continue with this process, ensure you have a backup of your files. To reset your PC, follow the steps given below-
- Press Windows + I key to open the Settings app on your PC.
- On the right side of the System tab, click on the Recovery option.
- Now, click on the Reset PC button to continue ahead.
- You will now see two options- Keep My Files and Remove Everything.
- Keep My Files- If you want to keep your files but remove all the apps and settings, then choose this option.
- Remove Everything- If you want to remove everything from your PC including your files, apps, and settings, then choose this option.
- Now, follow the on-screen instructions, and you will be able to reset your PC.
If you have been facing issues with your touchpad on Windows 11, then this article here will help you with it. Given the above, we have discussed some troubleshooting steps to help fix the touchpad not working in Windows 11.