Streaming devices like Roku are among the most popular on the market. Roku is also partnering with brands of smart TVs, in addition to streaming devices. Roku OS is also available on some smart TVs.
Some examples include the Hisense Roku TV and the TCL Roku TV. Each Roku device comes with a remote for controlling and navigating the apps. However, if the remote becomes unresponsive or is lost, there is no way to control the device. Fortunately, there is a solution. See how to turn on Roku tv without a remote in this article.
Turn on TCL Roku TV Without Remote
Remote controls are included with every Roku player. Although Roku remotes connect to their players via WiFi, unlike most other remotes you’ve used. This means you won’t be able to watch your favorite shows if your remote won’t work. You can control your Roku device using your smartphone as a workaround to this problem. Check out these steps for how to turn on the Roku tv without a remote.
Using Roku TV App
The Roku app for your smartphone or tablet can be used to control your Roku player without a remote. The device needs to be connected to the Roku player’s WiFi network. Select Devices from the menu. Tap on the remote icon. It is essential that both your Roku device and your smartphone are on the same WiFi network.
- Install Roku on your device. Android users can download the app from Google Play. For iPhones and other Apple devices, the Roku app can be downloaded from the Apple App Store. There are many third-party applications available. You should choose the Roku official app.
- Follow the instructions in the app. You will be required to agree to the Roku terms and conditions for the first time you use the app. You will also be guided through a tutorial.
- Tap on Devices. The Devices section will appear at the bottom. In order to establish a connection with your Roku devices, you will need to tap OK the first time you use the app.
- Select the Roku device you wish to control. Select the Remote button. If you tap on your device, the Remote will be shown in the form of a plus sign.
- Finally, the app allows you to control the TV without using the remote. As long as you wish, you can continue to control your Roku player using the app on your smartphone.
If you lose the Roku remote at home, you can follow these steps. If you are staying at a hotel, this will not be possible. In either case, your Roku device cannot be connected to the same WiFi network as before.
It is the last WiFi network your Roku player remembers that it automatically connects to. In order for Roku to work, it needs to be connected to the same network. But, it’s okay to add the same name and password to a new WiFi network. It is also possible to set up a mobile hotspot if you aren’t able to set up a new network. Then use the Roku app on your smartphone to connect your Roku player.
Using a Mobile Hotspot
The Roku player and app can be connected to a new WiFi network by using a mobile hotspot. Your WiFi network name and password should match those of the last time you connected your Roku device. You can then connect a second device to the hotspot and download the Roku app.
For these steps to work, you will need two devices. You will need one for creating a hotspot. You will also need one with the Roku app installed. Because you can’t set up a hotspot on the same device as the Roku app and then connect that hotspot to the app. The Wi-Fi network name and password you previously connected to your Roku device must also be known.
- Use one device as a mobile hotspot. Any device that has mobile hotspot functionality can be used, including Mac or Windows computers, smartphones, and tablets.
- Use the same name and password you used to connect your Roku player to the last network. Unless your Roku device is connected to an active WiFi network, you will not be able to follow these steps.
- Connect the other device to the hotspot. On this device you will install the Roku app. This is done just like a normal WiFi connection.
- On another device, install the Roku app and open it. The hotspot is not created using this device. Using this device, you connected to your hotspot. Before continuing, make sure you close and reopen the Roku app if you previously had it open on your device.
- Select Roku from the Devices list. Swiping down on your screen will refresh your device list if it does not appear.
- Then, tap the icon for the remote. Roku devices can now be controlled through the Roku app.
- On your Roku device, use the remote to access Settings. In your app, tap the Home button to find this. To move up and down in the left sidebar, use the up and down arrow keys.
- Click on Network. Select Wireless under Set up connection.
- Use your remote to select OK. Wireless networks are searched for by your streaming device.
- Select a new network. Choosing Scan again will allow you to see all networks if you do not see your network. Tap Connect once you have entered the WiFi password.
- How to Install, Activate & Watch CNN Go on Roku
- How To Activate MTV On Roku, Smart TV, Apple TV, Fire Stick
- How To Fix Roku Remote Volume is Not Working
- How To Get and Activate USA Network on Roku
This was all about how to turn on the roku tv without a remote. Don’t worry if you have lost your roku remote. You can now use your smartphone as a remote.