Mortal Kombat 1 is a fighting game that is an iteration of the old classic favorite Mortal Kombat. If you have been gaming for a long time, you must have played the older generations of nostalgic Mortal Kombat. Similar to earlier games, the Mortal Kombat is also a fighting game. However, this time, they have gone ahead and made it a AAA Title. Consequently, the game’s requirements have notched up a bit, resulting in players complaining that Mortal Kombat 1 won’t launch on PC.
If you are also facing the same problem, don’t worry, you have arrived at the right place. In this guide, we will show you how you can fix Mortal Kombat 1 won’t launch on PC and also discuss its causes.
Why Mortal Kombat 1 Won’t Launch On PC?
There can be many reasons for Mortal Kombat 1 not launching on PC. While the most common and the obvious is that your PC is incapable, after buying the game, it doesn’t make sense to think about the System Requirements. If that’s the issue, you need to keep the game aside for the time and get a new PC or upgrade components before playing. Other than this, Mortal Kombat 1 won’t launch because of the following issues:
- DirectX Missing: Some PCs don’t have DirectX installed from the very beginning. If that’s the case with you, Mortal Kombat 1 won’t launch. Fixing this is a long process, you will learn about this in the next section.
- Visual C++ Redistributable: This is also a very important component when it comes to gaming. If your PC is completely new, Visual C++ Redistributable is not installed by default, as a result, Mortal Kombat 1 won’t launch.
- Outdated GPU Drivers or Wrong Drivers: GPU or Graphics drivers need to be updated regularly. If you haven’t updated them, your game won’t launch. In some cases, users download and install Studio Drivers instead of Game Ready drivers, and that contributes to problems as well.
- Cracked Game: If you have downloaded a cracked game, you are doing more harm than good. While you might have got the game for free, it is possible that the game might never run.
These are the most common issues that stop Mortal Kombat 1 from launching. If you have any of these problems but don’t know, keep reading to learn and fix them.
How to Fix Mortal Kombat 1 Not Launching On PC
Here, you will learn to fix Mortal Kombat 1 won’t launch on PC. If you are tired of this problem, make sure to stick to this guide so that you don’t have to face it again.
1. Restart Your PC and Retry Launching
The first method to fix Mortal Kombat 1 won’t launch on PC is to restart your PC. From the very beginning, restarts are usually known to fix every ongoing issue. If Mortal Kombat won’t launch, the first step towards fixing it is to restart your PC.
Moreover, sometimes your PC is not able to reallocate all the necessary resources in the order they are required. In that case, Mortal Kombat will refuse to launch, and you will face issues for a longer time. Some people also say that Mortal Kombat 1 is crashing at launch and that issue can also be fixed by a simple restart.
If a simple restart is not working, you can perform a hard restart or hard boot. For this process, press and hold the power button for 10 seconds, and you will see the brand logo appearing on the screen. Now, your PC will restart automatically. A hard restart is often the best way to fix multiple ongoing gaming issues. However, if this doesn’t solve your problem, follow up with the next fix.
2. Check For PC Specs
If you have recently bought a new PC without digging much into the configuration, you should look into this. PC Specs or configuration is extremely important for the smooth running of any game, in this case, Mortal Komat. If your PC does not satisfy even the minimum system requirements, you might face issues.
Even if your PC manages to launch Mortal Kombat 1 after restarting or other numerous attempts, then your game will become unplayable within minutes, and at that time, the controls won’t respond.
According to NetherRealm Studios, Mortal Kombat needs you should at least have an Intel i5-6600 or AMD Ryzen 5 2600. If you have an older generation, say the 5th generation, Mortal Kombat won’t launch.
Also, the minimum RAM Requirement is 8GB. While that is certainly attainable, background running tasks and other things can add to the problem. If that’s the case, follow up with the next fix.
3. Close Background Applications
If you have enough system requirements, but Mortal Kombat won’t launch, it is possible that you have multiple memory-consuming applications running in the background. This is mainly a problem if you have the habit of minimizing programs instead of closing them completely. Here are the steps to close background applications:
- Make sure that all programs are closed.
- Now, press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager.
- Now, click on the Memory tab. This will sort the problem list from the highest to lowest.
- Right-click on the first application, and from the drop-down, click on End Task.
- Now, click on the CPU tab. This will sort the problem list from the highest to lowest.
- Right-click on the first application, and from the drop-down, click on End Task.
Keep doing this until all the resourcing-hogging applications are closed. However, make sure that you don’t end task for any important applications such as Antimalware Service Executable or File Explorer.
When done, launch Mortal Kombat 1 and check whether it is launching or not. If not, follow up with the next fix.
4. Check DirectX Installation and Update
It is important you have DirectX installed and updated on your PC. DirectX is an extremely important component when it comes to gaming and other hardware-intensive tasks. DirectX acts as the bridge between the graphics drivers and the operating system to make the rendering and transition smooth.
It also contains the necessary files required to run the game through an environment. If there’s no DirectX, games won’t run. Similarly, if DirectX is old, you need to update it. Here are the steps:
- Press Windows + R to open the Run dialog box.
- Type: dxdiag and press Enter.
- Check whether you can see the Display 2 tab. If yes, check the version.
- If you don’t see the Display 2 tab, you need to download and install DirectX. Even if you see that the version is old, you need to download and update it.
- Go to the official website of DirectX. Here’s the link.
- Select Language as English and click on Download.
- When downloaded, go to the Downloads folder on your PC.
- Double-click on the file to begin the installation process.
- Proceed with the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
- When everything is done, restart your PC.
Now, start Mortal Kombat 1 and check whether it is launching or not. If not, follow up with the next fix.
5. DLL File Errors
If Mortal Kombat 1 won’t launch, giving a DLL file missing error, you need to download and install the respective DLL file. These files are digital library files that are very important for every application and program.
Although most of these DLL file errors are solved by reinstalling DirectX, if your issue is still not resolved, try to install DirectX in the game’s location or on the same Drive. Besides, if you regularly face issues with DLL files, here’s our guide to fixing DLL file errors.
Most often, DLL file errors can be solved by reinstalling the application, in this case Mortal Kombat 1. Games often come with the required components that install themselves so that the game can run smoothly. If there’s nothing to do with DLL errors, move on to the next fix.
6. Update or Install Visual C++ Redistributable
If, after following the above methods, Mortal Kombat 1 still won’t launch, then there might be a problem with Visual C++ Redistributable. The Visual C++ Redistributable is an important component that helps in rendering graphic-intensive tasks. If Visual C++ Redistributable has issues or is not installed on your system, Mortal Kombat 1, or any other game for that matter, won’t launch. Here are the steps you need to do:
- Click on the Windows button and go to Settings.
- Click on Apps > installed apps and search for Visual C++ Redistributable. If found, check whether it is 2017 or 2015. If yes, download the 2022 version.
- Go to the official website of Visual C++ Redistributable.
- Download the one that says X64.
- Go to the downloads folder on your PC and begin the installation process by double-clicking on it.
When Visual C++ Redistributable is installed, restart your PC for the changes to take effect. Start playing Mortal Kombat 1, and this time, it should launch effectively.
7. Verify the Integrity of Game Files
If the above fixes have not worked for you, it is possibly time to run an integrity check of the game files. The integrity-checking process replaces the corrupt game files with new files downloaded from the game servers and fixes major issues, including Mortal Kombat 1 won’t launch. Here are the steps to do it:
- Launch Steam.
- After that, click on Libary.
- Now select your game, in this case, Mortal Kombat 1.
- Next, right-click on it and click on Properties.
- Now, click on the Local Files tab.
- At last, click on Verify Integrity of Game Files.
Verifying the integrity of game files takes up time and internet data. Depending on your internet connection speed, the average time to finish the verification process is around 30 minutes to 1 hour. If your internet speed is low, the time can be longer.
Once the process is complete, you need to restart your PC and launch the game. The game should launch without any problem. However, one thing to keep in mind is if you have purchased the game from third-party vendors, then you won’t get the option to verify the integrity of game files. In that case, the only option you have is to reinstall the game.
- Patience is Key 🗝️: Sometimes, the solution might take a while to work. Be patient and give it some time.
- Community Help 🤝: If you are unable to fix the issue, don’t hesitate to reach out to the gaming community for help.
- Regular Updates 🔄: Make sure to keep your game and system updated to avoid such issues in the future.
- Backup Your Data 💾: Before making any significant changes, ensure to backup your game data to prevent any loss.
The Bottom Line
Well, that’s all we have here about how you can fix Mortal Komat 1 won’t launch. We hope this guide has helped you. If you still have any doubts or queries, make sure to comment below so that we can help you out.
- How to Fix Rainbow Six Siege Not Working, Won’t Launch on PC
- Fix: Baldur’s Gate 3 Won’t Launch or Not Loading on Startup PC
- How to Fix Elden Ring Won’t Launch or Not Loading
- 10 Ways to Fix Starfield Won’t Launch or Not Launching on PC
- Fix: The Texas Chain Saw Massacre Won’t Launch
- Fix: Armored Core 6 Fires of Rubicon Won’t Launch On PC
- Fix: Mortal Kombat 1 Keeps Crashing on PC, PS5, Xbox, PS4
- Mortal Kombat 1 Low FPS Issues: Here’s How to Fix Quickly (2023)