Now that Microsoft has announced the latest update for Windows, i.e., Windows 11, users are curious to know whether they will be able to upgrade Windows 7 or any other version of Windows to Windows 11. Windows 11 will be the latest Windows to be launched by Microsoft on 24 June., and there are chances that users will be able to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10.
Windows will most probably allow users with a genuine license to Windows 7 to upgrade to Windows 11. As per the leaked build of Windows 11, the config files point towards the upgrade path for Windows 7. Well, there is nothing sure about it, after all, it was a leaked build, and things can change at the last moment.
However, if Microsoft did allow users to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, then there are certain ways to do so. In this article, we will be discussing how you can upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10.
Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 11
There are certain methods using which you will be able to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 11 when Microsoft rolls out the free upgrade for licensed users. Users will be able to upgrade their older version of Windows through Windows Update or from the Windows media creation tool.
ALSO CHECK: How to Upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11
Upgrading Using Windows Update
The very first method to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 11 involves using Windows update. Windows update generally brings the latest updates to Windows. That’s how users back in 2015 were able to upgrade from Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 to Windows 11. You can use Windows Update to upgrade your Windows from an older version of Windows to Windows 11. To do so, follow the steps given below-
- Click on the Start icon that you see at the bottom left corner of your screen, or you can press the Windows key on your keyboard. This will open the Start Menu of your Windows 7.
- Now in the Start Menu, search for Windows Update and click on the very first option that appears.
- You will now be headed to the Windows Update section. From here you can download and install the latest updates to your current version of Windows. When Windows 11 goes public, you will find the update for Windows 11 here.
- Simply click on Check for updates, to begin checking for updates. Your system will start scanning for the latest updates available which will also include the latest Windows 11.
- Now download and install the update for Windows 11. Once the update is installed, you will be asked to reboot your computer. Restart your computer, and your system will begin setting up Windows 11. After the process has been completed, you will have successfully upgraded to Windows 11.
Upgrading Using Windows Media Creation Tool
You can either upgrade your PC using the Windows Media Creation Tool. It is a free tool, that lets users install Windows on their PC, or upgrade the current one. Given below are the steps to help you upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 11 using Windows Media Creation Tool.
- Search on the search engine for Windows Media Creation Tool for Windows 11. Only follow the link which leads you to the official Microsoft Website.
- Download the Windows Media Creation Tool. Follow the instruction of the Windows Media Creation tool.
- You will be asked to upgrade the current PC or to create a bootable USB drive. If you are running Windows 7 on the PC you have downloaded the Windows Media Creation Tool, and you want to upgrade the PC, then select the ‘upgrade the current PC’ option. If you want to create a bootable USB drive and upgrade any other PC, then you can select the ‘create a bootable USB drive’ option. Ensure you connect a USB drive to your computer which has a minimum of 8GB storage.
- Follow the process and once done, you will be able to upgrade your PC to Windows 11 successfully.
Do I Need To Purchase Windows 11 When It Rolls Out?
Nothing is sure as of now, whether the upgrade from an older version to Windows 11 will be free or if users will have to buy the license to upgrade to Windows 11. Windows 11 will bring various changes to the currently running Windows 10, and it will be one of the significant updates in the history of Windows.
After the Windows 11 launches, the newly launched laptop will be coming with Windows 11, and if not then they will come with Windows 10 that will be upgradable to Windows 11. If users running on older versions of Windows like Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 get a free upgrade, then they won’t need to buy the license key to Windows.
In case if you are using an unofficial, not licensed, or pirated version of Windows 7 or any other Windows, then you will not be able to upgrade to Windows 11. If Microsoft rolls out a free upgrade from an older version of Windows to Windows 11, it will only be for users with licensed Windows.
That’s how you can upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 11. You will have to wait until you hear any official announcement from Microsoft about the up-gradation, will it be free for Windows 7 users or not. We hope, you find this article informative.