What would you do if you are a Windows user and have reported an entry naming Ralink Linux Client listed on your computer as a part of the network upon opening This PC? We got lots of queries and messages to write an article about Ralink Linux Client. So here it is.
Yeah, it is also a possibility, and we must make it sure that the system is not compromised for any reason. However, in my case, my system was not hacked. Instead, that was another device that was connected to the same network. Therefore, you should read this article to know what is Ralink Linux Client.
Many devices such as routers use an internal chipset which is named as Ralink Linux Client. Ralink is a company that manufactures the chipset and is standing as the largest shareholder in the market.
We could not say that which are the products that are using it because it is a chipset. It is possible that the brand could be different. If we take an example: Samsung television might be using Ralink chipset, but no buyer or the customer would recognize that the chipset is of Ralink.
In many cases, it is seen that the Ralink client is nothing but a smart television connected to the same network, and in other cases, it is an outdoor camera. By temporarily switching off these external devices, this could be checked and observed if the Ralink Linux Client still remains.
Most of the time, your windows network shows Ralink Linux Client Because there could be any other wireless configuration in your local area, which might be using the same address range that is used by your router. This could make a passage to filter with your network and shows up as part of your network. Generally, the routers that work with the default IP address goes with these conditions.
The MAC address of a smart TV gets connected to the common Wi-Fi network and is noticed by many users. If you want to test this theory, then disable the Wi-Fi connection from your TV. Another device is notoriously known to show the Ralink Linux Client, and that gadget is an outdoor camera.
The computers that have multiple network cards show Ralink Linux Client as its regular occurrence. This happens reportedly when the two different Wi-Fi networks are enabled within the same router ( 2.5 & 5.0 ).
Checking Whether it is a security issue or not?
If someone like any hacker is hacking your system. And if it does by changing the name of the link network to Ralink Linux Client. Then the link will pass through the router you have. Does it mean that you can check whether it is a security issue or not? To check it you have to follow these steps:
- Switch Off the router.
- Check whether Ralink Linux Cloud still shows up. In maximum cases, it won’t.
- Switch the router again and your devices will be auto-connected.
- Switch off these devices one by one so that you can isolate the device, which is generating the problem.
- If you are unable to find the device, you have to check the devices’ IP addresses.
- Compare the IP addresses of the device from the Ralink Linux Client.
- If you found the, then isolate it. If you have not, then you should change the Username and Password of the router. This would disconnect all the devices but you can reconnect the trusted device.
To enter your system again, the hacker has to know your username and password.
Changing the username and password?
The process of changing the Username and Password of any router depends on the router’s brand. But a standard method is used for most of the brands. Follow these steps to change the username and password.
- Press Windows + R. it will open the run window.
- Type cmd and then press enter. It will open the command prompt.
- Type ipconfig and then press enter. It will show the data list.
- You have to note the second line value of default gateway ( it will be like ‘192.546.0.3’ ).
- Open edge browser and type you Default gateway and then press enter.
- It will ask you for the username and password. You will find the same on your router itself.
- You will be logged in to the GUI after entering the credentials.
- Fin for the changing option of SSID and password. It usually on the security tab.
- Change it according to your choice.
- Your computer will get disconnected automatically after changing, but you can again connect it by giving your new credentials.
Disabling the Windows Connect Now service
If Ralink Linux Client shows up again, you can be sure that your system is not hacked. Instead, anyone of your devices is Ralink Linux Client. Though it is harmless still you can change this by the following steps:
- Press win + R and type msc.It will openthe Service Manager window.
- A list will come to your screen, and it is ordered alphabetically.
- Scroll and double click on Windows Connect Now
- It will open the properties section.
- Change the Startup Type to Disabled.
- Now click on Apply and then OK.
We tried to give our best to explain to you the Why is RalinkLinuxClient showing up in the Windows network and its consequences. So, if you see it again, you must not get tensed; instead, you must investigate whether it is hacked. We have given you a solution to how you can check it or how you can change the username and password.
Our mission to provide you with the basic information is achieved if your doubts is being cleared. At last, I want to thank you for giving your precious time to read this article and appreciate our work.