It’s essential to keep Windows updated with all features and quality updates. Keeping Windows 11 updated makes sure you don’t face any errors while working on your device. But sometimes, Windows update itself could be why you may encounter issues on your device. If you are also facing issues after a recent update, keep reading to know how to reset the Windows update on Windows 11.
Issues like this mainly occur due to corrupt Windows update database and cache data. However, other reasons may require you to reset the Windows update on your device. In this post, we have mentioned the steps to help you do so.
Reset Windows Update On Windows 11
Below mentioned is the step-by-step guide to help you to reset the Windows update on your device.
Stop Windows Update Services
Windows Update Services allow Windows to download files and update using automatic Windows updates and other Windows components. It uses your internet connection to download files in the background silently. Here is how you can Windows Update Services:
- Click on Start, search for Command Prompt and click on Run as Administrator.
- Type in the following commands one by one and hit enter.
net stop bits net stop wuauserv net stop appidsvc net stop cryptsvc
Delete qmgr*.dat files
- Again enter the following command in Command Prompt and hit enter.
Del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat"
- Once this command is executed, the qmgr*.dat file will be deleted. Make sure you back up your data, as a single mistake could crash your device.
Flush Software Distribution and Catroot2 folders
- You will now have to rename the Software Distribution and Catroot2 folders. To do this, type the following commands in the command prompt and hit enter.
Ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak Ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak
Reset BITS and Windows Update Service to their default security descriptor
- Like the steps mentioned above, this will also be done through the command prompt. To do so, enter these commands in the command prompt and hit enter.
sc.exe sdset bits D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU) sc.exe sdset wuauserv D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
- Another window will open in the command prompt again, type the following command and hit enter.
cd /d %windir%\system32
Re-Register BITS Files and Windows Update Related DLL Files
- Type the following commands one by one in the command prompt and hit enter.
regsvr32.exe atl.dll regsvr32.exe urlmon.dll regsvr32.exe mshtml.dll regsvr32.exe shdocvw.dll regsvr32.exe browseui.dll regsvr32.exe jscript.dll regsvr32.exe vbscript.dll regsvr32.exe scrrun.dll regsvr32.exe msxml.dll regsvr32.exe msxml3.dll regsvr32.exe msxml6.dll regsvr32.exe actxprxy.dll regsvr32.exe softpub.dll regsvr32.exe wintrust.dll regsvr32.exe dssenh.dll regsvr32.exe rsaenh.dll regsvr32.exe gpkcsp.dll regsvr32.exe sccbase.dll regsvr32.exe slbcsp.dll regsvr32.exe cryptdlg.dll regsvr32.exe oleaut32.dll regsvr32.exe ole32.dll regsvr32.exe shell32.dll regsvr32.exe initpki.dll regsvr32.exe wuapi.dll regsvr32.exe wuaueng.dll regsvr32.exe wuaueng1.dll regsvr32.exe wucltui.dll regsvr32.exe wups.dll regsvr32.exe wups2.dll regsvr32.exe wuweb.dll regsvr32.exe qmgr.dll regsvr32.exe qmgrprxy.dll regsvr32.exe wucltux.dll regsvr32.exe muweb.dll regsvr32.exe wuwebv.dll regsvr32.exe wudriver.dll
- To reset the Winsock catalogue, type in the following command and hit enter.
netsh winsock reset
Restart Windows Update Services
Once you are done with all the steps mentioned above, it’s time to restart the BITS service, the Windows Update Service and the Cryptographic service. Here is how to do it:
- To activate all the services, type the following commands one by one in the command prompt and hit enter.
net start bits net start wuauserv net start appidsvc net start cryptsvc
- Restart your device to complete the process. You have now successfully reset Windows Restart your Windows 11 PC.
This was how you can reset Windows Restart your Windows 11 PC. We hope our step-by-step guide was able to help you. If you still have any issues, feel free to drop a comment below.