There are various types of archive files type that you may see when you try to open an archive file on your PC. These files can be opened by certain software only. One such archive file type is TGZ or GZ file type. This file type is created using the Unix-based archival application tar, and it is then further compressed using the GZIP compression. TGZ files are made up of a collection of files in TAR. Files having double extensions created using TAR are generally shortened. For instance, the TAR.GZ file extension given to the file created from TAR will be shortened to .TGZ or .GZ. You need a specific type of application to be able to open TGZ files in Windows 11.
How To Open TGZ Files In Windows 11
Just like other archive file types, TGZ files use a specific application to run on the PC. If you have TGZ files on your PC and don’t know how to open them, this article will help you. In this article, we will be discussing how you can open TGZ Files in Windows 11.
Opening TGZ Files In Windows 11
There are two ways to open TGZ files on Windows 11. You can either use third-party apps to extract the contents of the files. There are various third-party apps and online converters like 7-Zip and Convertio, which you can use to extract the contents of the TGZ Files. Another way to do this is with the help of an online TGZ Converter.
Extracting TGZ Files Using Convertio
The very first method to extract TGZ files is using Convertio. To extract TGZ files using Convertio, follow the steps given below-
- Firstly, head to the official website of Convertio.
- On the home page, you will see Choose Files option. Click on it, and then select the file you want to convert.
- Now, select the conversion type to Zip, and then click on convert to convert the file. Download the file, and you will be able to use it on your PC.
Extracting TGZ Files Using 7-Zip
7-Zip is free software that you can use to compress and extract files. You can use this software to open TGZ files on Windows 11. To open TGZ files using 7-ZIP, follow the steps given below-
- Firstly, download the 7-Zip from the official website and install it on your PC.
- Open the app, and go to the folder where our TGZ file is.
- Select the file, right-click on it, click on 7-Zip and click on Extract files to extract the file on the same window.
- In the Extract to the window, select the file location you want to save the file, and click on OK. You will now be able to open the TGZ Files on Windows 11.
Extracting TGZ Files Using Command
The last way to extract TGZ files is using the Command Prompt. To extract TGZ files using Command Prompt, follow the steps given below-
- In the Start Menu, search for CMD. Right-click on the command prompt and then click on Run as administrator.
- In the command prompt, type the following command, and execute it-
- Tar -xvzf C:\PATH\TO\FILE\FILE-NAME.tar.gz -C C:\PATH\TO\FOLDER\EXTRACTION
- Ensure you replace the source path in the above command with the actual source path and replace the destination path with the actual destination path.
This way, you will be able to extract TGZ files using the command prompt.
- How To Install And Remove Themes In Windows 11
- Turn On/Off Windows 11 File Explorer Compact View
- How To Fix Windows 11 File Explorer Keeps Crashing
These were some ways to open TGZ Files in Windows 11. Following the above steps, you will open TGZ Files in Windows 11 and access the contents.