Direct Draw Surface or DDS is a file format mainly used to store compressed and uncompressed files having graphical textures or any cubic data files. GIMP or GNU Image Manipulation Program is a graphics editor software used for image manipulation and image editing.
So, when we add this DDS plugin to GIMP software, the plugin makes it more advanced and extends its functionality. Hence, if you want to add this DDS plugin to your GIMP software but do not know how to start, here is a guide for you.
Download and Install DDS Plugin for GIMP
This article will guide you through the process of installing the DDS plugin to GIMP step by step.
Steps To Download the GIMP DDS Plugin:
- Search for the “GIMP DDS plugin” on Google and click the first link from Google codes or click on the given link to avoid searching.
You will see a similar screen google code website as shown below:
2. Choose the plugin based on your PC setup and Operating system by clicking on it, and it will start downloading a compressed file.
3. Extract the chosen plug-in file and paste it into GIMP’s default plug-in folder.
4. Default folder in the case of windows would be “C:\ProgramFiles\GIMP2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins”.
5. After pasting the file, you should be able to open DDS files on GIMP.
Note: If you use GIMP frequently, protect a copy of helpful plugins before they vanish from the Internet.
Saving Files in DDS Format in GIMP
GIMP supports DDS format files and can open them, and in addition to it, you can also save the file you want in the DDS format. For saving it, you need to follow the steps given below:
- First, you need to open the GIMP software on your device.
- Now open the image you want to edit and do all the required optimization on it.
- After that, all you need to do is click on the file and click save as an option.
- Now save the file in DDS format and click save to save the image in the required format.
ALSO READ: How To Create BMP File In Windows 11
Does GIMP have DDS support?
GIMP is an image editing tool that supports various formats like JPG, PNG, PDF, PSD, GIF, and few others. In addition to these formats, GIMP also supports DDS image formats, but for that, you need to install a DDS plugin.
How to convert JPG to DDS image?
There are many online tools to convert images from JPG to DDS. Just search for a JPG to DDS converter on your search engine and go to one of the listed websites. Just upload the image you want to convert from JPG to DDS, then select the output format if it asks you to. After that, your image will be converted to DDS.
Can Photoshop open the DDS files?
Yes, with the help of the NVIDIA Texture Tools plug-in, you can easily edit the DDS files in your adobe photoshop.
Where are Plugins located in the GIMP app on Mac?
Finding your plugins might be a tough task sometimes. They are located in the scripts directory. The path to it is GIMP.app > Contents > Resources > share > gimp > 2.0 > scripts .
Where are plugins located in the GIMP app on Windows?
For finding the plugins on Windows, you need to go to your Windows’ program files and look for the GIMP folder. After that, go to lib > gimp >*version of GIMP*> and then click on plugins folder.
Is GIMP as good as Photoshop?
This software is good for photo editing, and both use Curves, Levels, and Masks for editing any particular image. But as far as their comparison is concerned, photoshop has more powerful tools than the GIMP equivalent.
This article walked you through the entire process of downloading and installing the DDS plugin for GIMP. You will have no problems installing the DDS plugin if you use the method described above. Feel free to comment below your feedback.