Many times when installing an app on your PC, you may encounter an error message saying, “This app has been blocked for your protection.” This does not allow you to download some of the apps if they are from unknown sources or are created by unknown publishers. This issue is nothing to be worried about. In this article, we will be discussing all the possible fixes to troubleshoot this app that has been blocked for your protection error
Why Does This App Been Blocked For Your Protection Issue Come Up?
As you know, Windows comes up with built-in security software which is known as Windows Defender. But sometimes, it gives wrong or false knowledge about the programs or files that are not even harmful to your system. Another security software is known as Defender SmartScreen. It protects your system from harmful files.
It detects the apps built by unknown or unauthorized developers and also blocks them from running on your PC, which causes or raises this issue saying, “This app has been blocked for your protection.” Sometimes this issue also arises when you are trying to install any application from any lesser-known source.
Fix This App Has Been Blocked For Your Protection 2023
If you want to download a file and you know it is safe to download but you face ‘This app has been blocked for your protection’ issue while launching it, this article will help you fix it. You can fix the issue in the following ways-
Using Command Prompt
If you want to avoid this problem, you can install or run the application through Command Prompt. Follow the given steps to resolve this problem using Command Prompt-
- Firstly, copy the path to the app you are facing the problem with. Right-click on the app icon on the desktop, or search for the app on the Start Menu, and then right-click on it. Click on Properties, and you will find the path next to Target.
- Now, press the Windows key to open Start Menu. Here, search for CMD, select it, and click on Run As Administrator.
- In the Command Prompt, paste the full path of the application which you want to install and then press Enter.
- Now close the Command Prompt Window, and the app will be installed
Through Registry Editor
Another way to fix this error is through the Registry Editor. To do so, follow the steps given below-
- Press Windows + R key combo, type regedit, and click on OK to open Registry Editor.
- Here, on the address-bar copy and paste the following address-
- On the right-side, double-click on EnableLUA to make changes to it.
- Change the value data to 0, and click on OK.
- Close the Registry Editor, restart your PC and the issue will be fixed.
Using Local Group Policy
You can also bypass the error by changing the corresponding policy. Follow the given steps for the same-
- Firstly, open the Local Group Policy Editor. To do so, search for it in the Start Menu and open it.
- On the left side of the Local Group Policy Editor, click on the Computer configuration and then on Windows Settings.
- Under this option click on Security Settings and then on Local Policies and then lastly, click on the Security Options.
- Then on the right side, double-click on User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode.
- Lastly, select the Disabled option and then click on OK.
- After finishing this, close the Local Group Policy Editor and then restart your computer.
Note: Changing the policy above will also cause the UAC to be turned off automatically.
Using Built-in Administrator Account
If you want to fix the error “This app has been blocked for your protection” you can also install or run the app in a built-in administrator account. Follow the given steps given below to install the app in the administrator account.-
- Click on the Start Icon, click on your account profile, and then click on the Administrator account to sign into it.
- Now, install the blocked app. After finishing installing the app successfully, sign out of the Administrator account.
- Now, sign back to your account.
After logging in you will find that your issue has been resolved and you can use the application without any error.
Note: Before downloading any application, ensure that it is safe and it may not harm your system. It should always be from a trusted source/website.
These were some ways to help fix This app has been blocked for your protection. The error is generally faced by users when the system finds the app to be harmful and blocks it to prevent it from causing harm. You may face it when you download unverified apps on your PC.