Middle-income households in California have benefitted from the Middle-Class Tax Refund (MCTR). In order to alleviate the financial burden on California’s middle-class families, this program has been instrumental in providing much-needed financial relief. With the MCTR Payment Activate Card, taxpayers will be able to access their refunds promptly, a key component of the MCTR program. In this comprehensive guide, you will learn about how to activate the MCTR Payment Card, its benefits, and how to activate it.
|Middle Class Tax Refund (MCTR)
Who is Eligible For the MCTR Program?
- On or before October 15, 2023, file your 2023 tax return;
- You must, however, have filed your complete 2023 tax return by February 15, 2024, if you did not receive your Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) by th end of this year.
- To qualify, you must have an adjusted gross income (AGI) that meets the California limits;
- In the year 2023, you were a California resident for a minimum of six months;
- As a dependent of a person who was not eligible to claim a dependent exemption for the year 2023 and
- If you are a resident of California at the time this payment is being issued, this payment will be sent to you.
Check out ftb.ca.gov/MyEstimate for details and to estimate your Middle-Class Tax Refund payment.
Use your Card
- Visa Debit Cards are accepted anywhere Visa Debit Cards are accepted: in-store, online, or over the phone.
- Take advantage of cash back at participating merchants when you use your PIN debit card
- Cash-out at an ATM in your network without paying any surcharges
- The California Middle-Class Tax Refund Debit Card help center can help you learn more about its use.
Get your balance
- Log in to the MCTR website by creating a new user ID.
- You can reach Customer Service by calling 18002400223
How will I receive my payment?
Either a bank deposit or a prepaid debit card will be made through an MCTR prepaid debit card if you qualify. When you file your 2020 return electronically and indicate direct deposit for your refund, you will receive your payment by direct deposit. Payments will be made using an MCTR prepaid debit card if you do not choose to use a cash payment method. Some of the taxpayers who receive payments through the MCTR prepaid debit card are:
- Returns filed by paper taxpayers.
- No matter how you filed your taxes, if you received a refund by check, you received it.
- For 2023 tax return balance owed to taxpayers.
- Check-paying taxpayers who received Golden State Stimulus I and/or II payments.
- A taxpayer whose tax refund was advanced to them by their tax service provider or who has used their refund to pay their tax preparer fees.
Can you tell me when my MCTR Card will arrive?
In November 2023, qualified recipients will receive their MCTR debit cards, and by January 2024, all cards will have been distributed. To learn more, visit https://www.ftb.ca.gov/index.html.
How do I activate my Card?
You can activate your MCTR Card by calling 1-800-240-0223 if you have received one. If a card has more than one embossed name, the cardholder listed first must be contacted to activate the Card.
In addition to the state seal, your MCTR card will come inside a white envelope with the return address “California Middle Class Tax Refund.” Moreover, the envelope specifies that it is not an advertisement or bill.
There will be information on the front and back of the Card about your Middle-Class Tax Refund. The Visa name is on the front, and My Banking Direct, provided by New York Community Bank, is on the back. This Card will be accompanied by information explaining that it represents your Middle-Class Tax Refund Debit Card.
Can I use my MCTR Card to get cash?
You can access cash in a number of ways with your Card (please note that ATM withdrawals and merchant withdrawals are subject to limits):
From an ATM, you can withdraw cash:
- Withdrawing cash from an ATM that carries the Allpoint or MoneyPass brand does not charge a fee, but fees may apply if you withdraw cash from an ATM outside of the network. Money Network Mobile App or mctrpayment.com has ATM Locators that display surcharge-free ATMs within the network.
- If you are using an ATM, you’ll need to enter your PIN (4 digits) to get cash.
- Choose “Withdrawal” under “Checking“.
- You are restricted to withdrawing $600 per transaction from an ATM (ATM operators may set a lower limit). To learn more, please visit mctrpayment.com and review your Cardholder Agreement and Fee Schedule.
You can earn cash back from participating merchants by:
- It’s easy to earn cash back shopping at places you already frequent, such as grocery stores and convenience stores. To get cash back, simply follow the steps below:
- On the keypad, select “Debit.“
- Your 4-digit PIN must be entered.
- Make sure “Yes” is selected for cashback.
- Make sure you enter the correct amount and hit “OK.”
- It is possible that availability, limits, and fees2 will vary based on the practices of the merchant. For more information, go to mctrpayment.com and review your Cardholder Agreement and Fee Schedule.
From a bank or credit union teller:
- For a fee, you can withdraw cash at any bank or credit union branch with a Visa logo2.
- You will not be able to tell the teller how much money you have on your card if you don’t know your balance beforehand.
- Make sure the teller knows how much you want to withdraw.
- If you are asked to provide an additional form of identification, you will need your 4-digit PIN.
- There is a limit on over-the-counter withdrawals at banks and merchants of $600 per transaction (a lower limit may apply at the bank). If you would like more information, please refer to your Cardholder Agreement and Fee Schedule, available at mctrpayment.com.
Managing Your MCTR Payment Activate Card
If you want to take full advantage of your MCTR Payment Activate Card, you need to manage it responsibly. Here are a few tips for managing cards effectively:
- Monitor Your Transactions: Monitor your card activity closely to detect suspicious activity as soon as possible. Contact the card issuer if there are any discrepancies.
- Budgeting: Planning a budget to make sure your Card is used wisely and within your budget is the best strategy. To prevent debt accumulation or overspending, keep track of your spending.
- Fees and Charges: Find out about ATM withdrawal fees, balance inquiry fees, and other fees associated with your Card. When possible, use free ATMs.
- Customer Support: Contact customer support if you have questions or encounter problems with your Card. In most cases, card issuers provide assistance via phone or online chat.
- Card Replacement: Notify your card issuer of any lost, stolen, or damaged cards immediately. By doing this, you will help protect your money.
- How to Activate My First Phase Card in 2024: Step-by-Step Guide
- How to Activate Family Mobile Account at myfamilymobile.com 2024
- fidelitydebitcard.com Activation? How do I Activate My Fidelity HSA Debit Card Online?
- How to Activate Perx Card Online: Step-by-Step Guide
- MyCigna Activate Card and Login – Steps to Activate MyCigna.com Card
- Activate Assurance Wireless My Account Login at assurancewireless.com (2024)